OpenShift Online Pricing
OpenShift Online is completely free to start. But for those who need more, the OpenShift Online Silver plan delivers world-class Red Hat support and more features at a great value.
All plans come with:
- 3 free small gears
- Hundreds of languages, frameworks, datastores, and more
- Easy one-push deployment
- No lock-in
- Expert Red Hat system administration
- Custom domains
- Professional Red Hat Support
- Free Storage Upgrades
- Access to Extra Resources
$20 per month
+ usage costs after 3 small gears
- Community Support
- Learn and Share
- Upgrade whenever you like
|Sign up for Silver »||Sign up for Free »|
|Free Gears||3 small gears||3 small gears|
|Max Gears||16 small, medium, or large gears||3 small gears|
|Available Gear Sizes||
small, medium, and large
small, medium, and large
up to 6GB per gear
no extra costs
|1GB per gear|
|Support||Red Hat Professional||Community|
|SSL||For custom domains||Shared|
|Auto Scaling||1-16 gears Up to 16 gears||1-3 gears Limited to 3 gears|
|JBoss EAP 6 with Java EE6 Full Profile||
On small, medium, and large gears
3 small gears free, $0.03/hr per additional gear
|On small gears|
What's a Gear?
A gear is a resource-constrained container that runs one or more user-specified software stacks, also known as cartridges. Each gear has a limited amount of RAM and disk space. If an application needs more resources, it can be configured to automatically use more gears.
Gears come in multiple sizes to suit the needs of various software stacks.
All plans include 3 small gears for free.
What's Inside a Gear?
|PHP, Perl, Python, Ruby, Node.js, MySQL||$0.02
after the first 3
|Java, MongoDB, PostgreSQL||$0.05
|Medium (with JBoss EAP 6)
Java EE6 Full Profile
|Java, MongoDB, PostgreSQL||$0.10
How Do Gears Work?
Let's look at an example app running on OpenShift. We can estimate the needs and costs of the app at different stages.
Standard Drupal 7 install with normal caching, mostly anonymous traffic, and a 2% update rate.
Estimated costs assume the maximum number of gears running continuously, and include the platform fee where applicable but no add-ons.
Just starting up
Hundreds of articles
~ 50k visitors per month
Needs 3 small gears
Thousands of articles
~ 200k visitors per month
Scales up to 5 small gears
Making it Big
Ten thousand articles
~ 15M visitors per month
Scales to 10 small gears
- Why should I consider upgrading to Silver?
- You should consider upgrading to the paid version if you require the following: support from Red Hat, additional gears, medium and large sized gears, additional storage.
- Silver restricts users to 16 gears, do they include the free gears? Does the type of gear matter?
- Yes, with Silver the maximum number of gears is 16, this includes the 3 small gears that are already available to you. Basically, you have an additional 13 gears you can use for scaling and deploying apps. With Silver you can only purchase small, medium, and large gears so this limit is for 16 gears total.
- How much will it cost me to move to Silver?
- For the first phase we only plan to offer Silver Plan for purchase. You will need to pay a platform fee of $20 per month and you will be billed usage fees in arrears at the end of the month.
- What is the pricing for EAP support (Java EE6 Full Profile & CDI)?
- JBoss EAP support or "Java EE6 Full Profile & CDI" will be included for up to 3 small gears, and an additional $0.03/hr per medium or large gear or for any small gears in excess of what is included in the Free Plan.
- What Add Ons are available with OpenShift?
- Silver allows for additional storage and SSL on custom domains.
- Do you offer support?
- Users in the Free plan can make use of any of the community channels for support (forums, IRC and email), but there is no Red Hat support commitment with the Free Plan. Red Hat Support is provided with the Silver Plan. We do not commit to an uptime guideline, but do work to achieve a stable platform for users and we'll let you know in advance if/when there are scheduled maintenance windows. If we do suffer an outage we'll provide updates on the status page.
- What are scaling threshold settings?
- As a user with a paid subscription to the Silver Plan we recommend that you set limits on scaling your application up or down to control costs. You can do this by setting minimum and maximum limits for each of your Gears that scale. These limits can be set on the Management Console when logged into your account. More details on scaling may be available in the future. With Free you will be limited to the three gears for scaling.
- How do I get SSL for my domains?
- All OpenShift users get the benefit of Shared SSL that uses the rhcloud.com certificate and allows you to access your application with https://app-namespace.rhcloud.com. At the Silver plan we support SNI based SSL for your custom domain.
- What is Red Hat's plan with respect to OpenShift pricing?
- OpenShift is being offered in a pricing model comprised of different tiers intended to fit your organization's needs, whether you are a hobbyist, a fast growing startup or an enterprise. There is a base monthly platform fee plus fees for additional gear usage.
- What is Add-On Storage?
- Every gear comes bundled with 1GB of disk space. This storage is not shared between Gears, and you can choose to add it to the Gear that hosts your database to increase its storage. At the Silver plan the disk space that you can add to any Gear is limited to 6GB.
- What will happen to the free resources that were offered during the Developer Preview phase?
- If you are currently an OpenShift Online user, you may choose to use the Free offering and your applications will continue to run. If you had previously requested and were granted additional gears or medium gears you will need to subscribe to the Silver offering in order to continue to have access to those resources, and those additional resources will be priced based this page.
OpenShift is currently available in North America (the U.S. and Canada) and in Europe (EU member states and Iceland, Norway, and Switzerland). Prices in each country or region are listed below.
||$ 20.00||$ 20.00||€ 15.00|
(> 2,250 hours in a month)
|Medium Gear||$ 0.05
|Large Gear||$ 0.10
|JBoss EAP 6 Gear
(> 2,250 hours in a month)